MILLBURY, Mass. – April 29, 2021 – Aquarion Water Company today announced the start of the company’s mandatory outdoor water conservation program. Set to begin on May 1, these restrictions are required by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and apply to all Millbury customers.
Under these restrictions, nonessential outdoor water use is not allowed between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Nonessential water use includes irrigation of lawns by sprinklers and automatic irrigation systems; washing of vehicles; and washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, and driveways. However, hand-held watering of plants and gardens is allowed.
Outdoor water use is only allowed after 5:00 p.m. and before 9:00 a.m. on an odd/even water schedule. Customers with odd-numbered street addresses are allowed to water on odd-numbered days and those with even-numbered street addresses are allowed to water on even-numbered days.
“These restrictions will help ensure a sustainable drinking water supply and protect natural resources and streamflow for aquatic life,” said Paul Lawson, Operations Manager for the Millbury and Oxford systems.
Aquarion recommends several ways to conserve water inside and outside the home:
- Repair water leaks – check your toilet for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If food coloring appears in the bowl after 15 minutes, the tank mechanism needs repair
- Install water-saving shower heads and low-flow faucet aerators
- Turn off the water while shaving, brushing your teeth, and washing your face or hands
- Use a broom or blower, instead of water, to clean decks, driveways and sidewalks
- Allow grass to grow longer – taller grass shades itself, is healthier and requires less water
- Use a rain barrel to fill watering cans, connect a garden hose, feed a drip irrigation system, and for other outdoor chores
For more information about this water conservation program, please contact Aquarion customer service at 1-800-732-9678 or visit www.aquarionwater.com/conserve